Sunday, March 22, 2009

False Religion: Christless Christianity

Christian Smith has identified a false religión “made in America”. He calls this religión “moralistica, thearpeutica deism”. The key points in this religión are:

1.       God created the world.

2.       God wants people to be good, nice, and fair to each other, as taught in the Bible an most world religions.

3.       The central goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.

4.       God does not neeed to be particularly involved in one’s life except when needed to resolve a problema.

5.       Good people go to heaven when they die.

These popular ideas indicate that we are good, God is good and we should be nice. We don´t have to know much to go to heaven and to live our own lives here on earth. We just have to do good things. Knowing the Bible story is unnecessary.

This religión is rapidly taking the place of Christianity arround the world. People need good Bible teaching if they are going to “resist”, we must teaching the whole Bible story and not just accomedate our cultural images of Jesus with Bible texts. 

2 comments:

  1. By this Christianty is becoming a light version of all the other religions.
    I was comenting the other day in the bible study, that in my narrow and small point of view the Christianity based on the Bible is the only religion that describes a hollow, needy, perverted, bad, unjust man with a basic profound need of a savior.
    As a psychologist I can only agree with this Christianity based on the Bible and no other.... since I haven´t found in my practice, personal or family life one single person who I can describe as plainly GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I reread what I just wrote I can´t help but thinking how pathetic is the need for me to specifly Christianity based on the bible... when there should be no other.

    ReplyDelete